Thursday, December 8, 2011

An Interview w/ Mark Cuban

My blogger friend, Jeff, recently asked if I'd be interested in sharing part of an interview he had done with business savvy, Dallas Mavericks owner, Mark Cuban on his new book, How to Win at the Sport of Business. Using material from his popular Blog Maverick http://blogmaverick.com, Cuban compiles insider knowledge on what it takes to become a thriving entrepreneur.
Cuban tells his own rags-to-riches story of how he went from selling powdered milk and sleeping on friends' couches to owning his own company and becoming a multi-billion dollar success story. His unconventional, yet highly effective ideas on how to build a successful business offer entrepreneurs at any stage of their careers a huge edge over their competitors.
While I am certainly no entrepreneur myself, I would recommend Cuban's book to anyone out there who is interested in turning a profit from their blog. Cuban's book will leave you feeling not only inspired but guided in a direction to help you become the entrepreneur you are striving to become.
The following is only part of Jeff's interview w/ Mark. If you are interested in reading the rest, click on this link... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeff-rivera/mark-cuban-on-how-to-win-_b_1106048.html. 


One part in your book I loved and my heart sank at is when your fiance lost your $7500 ring.  What's your advice for those moms out there who are distracted by a relationship? How do you balance a real life with your dreams?

"I never was able to balance. Each person has to make their own decisions. But remember, your competitors aren’t sitting by idly waiting for you to have a nice dinner with your significant other. They are trying to kick your ass. So choose wisely."

Mark, you mentioned that you were approached countless times to write a memoir but instead chose to ePublish.  Why?

"The time obligations of a traditional release were more than I was willing to undertake. I couldn’t ask for advances and then not want to do a book tour. Plus, the editorial deadlines were much more forgiving. I made changes hours before the final release."

You have three kids. What life lessons do you give them so that they don't
go through all the heartache that you've gone through?

"That is a life-long process. My oldest daughter is just 8, so we arestill dealing with the basics. But I try to do some things in my businesses that are great for my kids. For instance, we changed the programming on HDNet Movies so that every morning we run commercial-free, kid and family-friendly movies. I was mad that my kids always were so excited about commercials they saw in their favorite shows that I wanted to give them a commercial-free environment."


One of my favorite parts of your book, How to Win at the Sport of Business, that completely broke my heart was when your ex-secretary robbed your first company of over $83,000, leaving you only $2000 after a year of work.  If there are moms out there that have lost everything, what advice do you have for them to pick themselves back up?

"Keep working. Don’t feel sorry for yourself because it won’t do any good."


There are many young moms who are just beginning their lives and can relate to
you when you said you were sharing a small apartment with 6 people and
sleeping on the floor.  How can someone keep their eye on the prize when they’re
living on Ramen noodles?

"Who cares how you are living today? I loved every minute of living in that dump. The low rent and utilities and eating Mac n’ Cheese all the time allowed me to afford the startup of my business. Instead of paying myself much, I could put it in to my business."

Where can we get a copy of your eBook, How to Win at the Sport of Business?

"Anywhere eBooks are sold: Amazon, BN.com, and sites that support independent bookstores too."

And since I am feeling rather giving w/ it being only 24 more days till Christmas, I am sponsoring my first ever giveaway! Be the first to leave me a comment on what ways you as a blogger Mommy or Daddy have used your platform to generate income and win two Landmark movie tickets! Check out this link for more information! 

No comments: