Friday, February 26, 2010

"Food for Thought" Friday

This is week 7 of my diet and week 6 of P90X... at my weigh-in earlier this week I hit a weight-loss milestone! I am currently over half way to my goal weight... I have lost 31 pounds! I am so excited! I'm starting to be able to squeeze into clothes that I haven't worn since Kent and I first started dating! I still have a long way to go but am actually enjoying eating healthy and working out. I have so much more energy and can't wait for Spring so we can spend lots of time outside going for walks and playing at the park.

I have a kid/husband friendly recipe to share today that is fast and simple. Before dieting we ate a lot of burritos, enchiladas and tacos. It's relatively simple to cut the fat back on all of these yummy dishes and all it takes is a little imagination.


Chicken Soft Tacos

Ingredients:

1 chicken breast baked or broiled and shredded (this is plenty for the three of us as long as it's good sized)

a package of taco seasoning or red ground pepper (I normally only use the red pepper)

fat free or whole wheat tortillas

shredded cheese

lettuce or baby spinach

tomato

1/2 of an avocado

purple onion

1 TBS. fat free mayo

Season your chicken with either the taco seasoning or red pepper and bake (or broil). One thing that I love about this recipe is that you can easily get rid of leftovers by using up what you have in the fridge. I normally fix this when I have made baked chicken or even a roast. If you are making this dish using leftovers, simply season and microwave. (This saves a ton of time and cleans out your fridge w/out having to throw things out to the dogs!)

While you wait for your meat to finish cooking, smash up 1/2 of an avocado, add a TBS. of mayo and some finely chopped purple onion (you don't need much). Mix it all together and put it back in the fridge till later. Cut up your tomato and chop your lettuce and set aside as well.

When your chicken is ready, pop your tortillas in the microwave and warm them up. Take your avocado, mayo and onion mixture and spread it on a tortilla. Place a handful of shredded chicken down the center of the tortilla, add some cheese if you like. And finally, top off your taco w/ lettuce or baby spinach and tomato.


Pair this with a side of fat free refried beans and you have yourself a healthy alternative to that Mexican restaurant you all love!

4 comments:

Ann said...

Mandy- WOW!!! 30 pounds!!! That is amazing!!! Way to go, girl!!! That recipe looks great! We LOVE mexican food at our house also! I also can't wait to get outside to run/walk....so tired of the treadmill!!!

Amanda said...

Thanks Ann! Jaxon and I walked outside yesterday... it was beautiful! When do you guys leave for your trip?

Ann said...

We leave in the morning(Sunday) at 9:00 A.M. So excited, just wish Dylan didn't come down with ear infection today(and we found that out after waiting an hour and half to see the doctor)!!!! So, I'm a little nervous about leaving him, but other than that, so excited!! When we get back we will for sure have to have a playdate!!!:-)

Carrie Schreiber said...

That sounds so good, Mandy! Congrats on the 30 lbs...that's awesome! I think you need to post some pics of yourself!! :-)