Friday, February 19, 2010

Spaghetti Made Healthy

I figured that since I am almost half way there (to my weight loss goal, that is), I should give an update! As of this morning, I am down 27 pounds! Can I get a HELL YES?! I haven't had a real hard-core work-out week... I've been doing other things and haven't had as much time. I am still sticking to the diet, working out when I can find the time and tracking my food intake and fitness.

I wanted to share another recipe that I have started making that is a BIG hit w/ Mr. Jaxon. Spaghetti has always been a staple food at our house and I have finally found a way to make it healthy enough to keep fixing it!


Since starting my diet I have bought only whole wheat pastas. Wal-Mart has a nice variety of all different types so I can keep every meal, at least looking a little different. One of our favorites is whole wheat penne w/ red sauce. It's very simple and doesn't cost much to make.

Ingredients:

2 cups of whole wheat pasta (I used penne and two cups is plenty for the 3 of us.)

1/2 of a can of Spaghetti Sauce (I try to pick something all natural... or at least as all natural as you can get when buying sauce in a can!)

red onion chopped finely (I use a tiny amount and chop it finely enough that my child doesn't sift through his food to find them!)

1/4 of a tomato chopped

a handful of fresh sliced mushrooms (The kind that are big enough for my child to find so he can pick them out!)

I boil a pan of water and add the penne. I cook this a little longer than normal, whole wheat penne tends to take a little longer to cook than the regular old pastas. As that is cooking, I chop up my veggies and start my sauce. I cook the veggies and sauce all together until it comes to a boil, drain the water from the pasta, cover and serve. (I have been fixing this w/out meat but you could easily add ground hamburger, pork, chicken or even shrimp for those that prefer something a little less vegetarian.)

We like to pair this meal w/ a small spinach salad and a side of jello... Jaxon even requests seconds and the only other meal that he asks for seconds on is Mac N' Cheese!

No comments: