Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Burneded Up Chopper

My oldest is 100% farm boy! He has loved farm life since before he knew what that meant! When he was learning to talk his Daddy would bring home implement (or tractor) catalogs from work, pointing to the images on the page and asking, "What's that?" Somehow, (w/out prompting), Jaxon always knew!




That's why when I got a text from one of my brothers the other night claiming that, "Breaking down sucks!", I was hesitant about sharing the attached photo w/ Jaxon. For those of you who are new to my blog, my Dad's a dairy farmer. Corn is a huge part of a Holstein's diet and is harvested right on the farm to keep the herd fed. The machine pictured above is called a corn chopper, and when Grandpa rented it earlier this Summer, it quickly became one of Jaxon's favorite pieces of equipment. 


Jaxon begged to ride along every time he caught wind of the crew heading out to the fields. He even asked me to drive him an hour and half down the road to another farm so he could ride the first time they went out! Luckily he wasn't along for the ride the other day!


To make a long story short, "Grandpa's chopper burneded to the ground"! When I told Jaxon what had happened and showed him the images he was devastated! He sat through supper that night barely touching his food, sulking about how he'd never ride in the "burneded up chopper again"! He asked repeatedly to be taken to the scene so he could see for himself that it was indeed no more.


He continues to mourn the loss of the chopper and continues to beg me to take him to the field. I joke that this incident has been more traumatic for him then the images of 9/11 that he saw on TV Sunday! (Not that 9/11 is a joking matter because it certainly is not. But it's the only thing I can think of to compare it to at this time.)

1 comment: