Monday, September 6, 2010

Homemade Watercolor Paints

OK... I'm not a fan of Martha Stewart, but I have to hand it to her, she's got some really good ideas (or at least her henchmen do)! While Jaxon was away at school the other morning, I decided to take a little time to enjoy the view, well not The View, The Martha Stewart Show, you get the idea. In other words, I wanted to sit on my butt and watch something other than Kick Buttowski for a change!

The only thing that held my attention and made me want to continue watching was the topic she was discussing w/ her guest star, Brendan Fraser. Together they were making homemade art supplies for children, one of which was watercolor paint. The thing that attracted me the most to this project was the chemistry element of combining white vinegar w/ baking soda... I knew this was something Jaxon would LOVE!
It's a really quick and easy project and you can try the colors out immediately. I attached a link below to Miss Martha's site which gives a better definition than I could, of how to recreate this experiment at home with your child.

http://www.wholeliving.com/article/homemade-watercolor-paint

Here are a few candids from our little experiment!











1 comment:

J.L. BOSTICK said...

I bet you could even add a little scented oil and make them scented! I am def. going to have to try this on my blind daughter. Thanks for sharing!