Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Tuesdays w/ Mommy

Jaxon and I had so much fun w/ our first experiment of the day Tuesday, that we decided to try another one. This time we picked something that we could observe over a period of time.

Last summer we planted pumpkins and gourds and had planned on doing the same this year but decided against doing so when I found out I was pregnant. I didn't think at the time that I'd probably want to be doing much weed pulling this summer... and I am so glad I didn't have to!

I had already purchased several packages of seeds this spring so we were prepared to do this experiment. Plus, we feed whole kernel corn to our calves so we had some of that on hand too! The only other things you will need for this project are paper towels or napkins, water and sandwich bags.
After gathering our supplies, we first started our experiment by dampening our napkins. We then placed three seeds on one damp napkin and three kernels of corn on the other. Next, Jaxon folded the two napkins in half and placed each one in it's own sandwich bag. DO NOT close your bags, the seeds and kernels need air to breathe. I labeled each baggie and dated them so we could tell them apart. I also drew pictures on each one so Jaxon could tell what was what. And finally, Jaxon hung the bags in the kitchen window to expose the seeds and kernels to some sun light.

At our house we are always discussing crops. Every time we go in the car, Jaxon and I play a game where I point to a field and he tells me what's growing in it. (I sometimes wonder if he'd been a girl what games we might play?!) This experiment was right up his alley and the first thing he asked this morning was to see his seeds.

Over the next week and a half we will be watering and observing our plants each day to see how they change. Farmer Jaxon is looking forward to watching his crop flourish!

No comments: